Saturday, October 17, 2009

DAY -2: An introduction to the introduction...

Saturday night:  quarter past 11 PM.  this is what i was not 'cool' in high school...

...or college...

The purpose of this record (I refuse to call this a 'blog'...even typing the word once bothers me...) is to document my trip to Thailand and Cambodia.  Most who read this know that i am bombarded with random theories throughout the day...based on daily impulses...observations...etc.  This trip is such a departure from the norm (and my norm is certainly a departure from what most consider the 'norm') that I will have so much information to process and without language or anyone speaking English (as I will be in a very very rural village)...this 'record' seems to an appropriate outlet for my ADD brain...

...as well as keeping those of you who are interested with some Sunday morning reading material...

WHAT:  most of you know...but layout of the trip is such:

Day 1-2:  Bangkok - acclimating and forcing my body to spend time in the heat so I can then convince it to attempt to run in 100 degree weather...  maybe see a buddha.  but probably just go shoe shopping.

Day 3-6:  Muay Thai Boxing training.  this is at a studio adjacent to where I will be staying.  Two hours in the morning - two hours in the afternoon.  In the interim I will be doing...well...shoe shopping.  

Day 6-7:  Few side trips in Bangkok and a day of Thai Cooking School.

Next 5.5 weeks:  I take a bus up north (about 6 hours) to my village.  There I will spend 3 days getting my bearings...acclimating to the culture, etc. etc (i.e. learning how to enjoy bugs...)  Then will be teaching about 5 hours a day/6 days a week...  This will be the most interesting thing to document...  the village is called Nanongthum...  I've been trying to google earth for the last month to no avail...

1 week:  Back to Bangkok and time to go to Ko Samet...an island 5 hours away from Bangkok for a bit of relaxation before running the half-marathon in Cambodia...

3 days in Cambodia:  I will stay in Siem Reap...the half-marathon is on December 6th....6 AM.  HOW LOVELY!  I won't have to scorch under the hot sun!  I'm really looking forward to this leg of the trip...I even re-arranged my trip to accomodate the run the second it entered my head...  Will be interesting running through the Angkor Wat temples...with camera...  how touching of an experience...  the profit goes to the land-mine victims...

last day:  Back to bangkok and straight to the Four Seasons!  I will need the reward!

Finally got rid of my 13 hour layover in Tokyo...cut it to 3 hours on the way back...thank goodness!  I'll be so excited to be home...

I have more to write...but a bit tired now...  and wit isn't my forte at such hour of night...

LOVE to all...

No comments:

Post a Comment